Go-dbf Goes Go1

Today I got word back from a representative from Google Code Hosting service that I’d been granted co-ownership of the go-dbf library project, which I mentioned in my recent love-fest around Go.  Five hours later, I was also contacted by the original author via the go-nuts forums, who’s given me his blessing in taking over administration of the project.

This is a pleasing turn of events, as I’ve been trying to get these fixes incorporated into the code-base for about a fortnight.  Just launching off on my own didn’t sit right with me, so I’m very glad Aydin let me know he’s still about, and happy for me to take the reigns.

So, after a day of learning just enough Mercurial to be dangerous, I have committed changes to the project repository that bring go-dbf up to speed with Go 1.  This commit also contains a simple fix to allow floating point fields within DBF files to be read along with the previously supported field types.

I’ve made other minor changes, but they’re incomplete, so no follow-up commit on them just yet.

On a final note, in pulling the uncooked changes apart from the “ready” ones, I took the tool Meld for a spin for the first time.  

Meld in action

Meld in action

I have to say, this beats the merging tools I’m typically playing with under Windows hands-down.  It’s the simple little GUI hints on my splicing options that make it such a wonderfully easy tool to manage a sticky merge with. Well played Meld authors. You have a convert!

So anyway, DBF file support in Go is now a lot easier out-of-the-box. If you end up using it, drop me a line.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s